"Disclosure and Uncertainty in Early Photography" Post-Reading Response

In 250 – 300 words, examine and respond to the text. Some questions to consider when writing the response: Do you agree or disagree with the author? What is the purpose of the text? What realizations did you make after reading the text? Responses should NOT simply summarize the content of the reading. All reading responses should be posted to your blog.



  1. Do you agree or disagree with the author?

    I agree with many of the author’s insights about the importance and intrigue of photography. The author mentions that photography sometimes has an unnatural and artificial quality about it, which allows the viewer to see more than just a picture. Depending on the zoom, angle, perspective, tint, etc. of a photograph, people often interpret the meaning of a photo differently. Furthermore, I agree with the author that because of these differences in interpretation, photography is more than recording details and history for scientific purposes; it is also a way for people to express themselves and elicit various emotions based on each viewer’s unique conceptualization.


  1. What is the purpose of the text?

    I believe the purpose of this text was to discuss the difference between photography and other art forms at the start of its time. Before photography, painting and sculpture were the most common forms of art expression. When the art of photography was developed, people debated as to whether or not it was truly an art form, or if it was simply a scientific, mechanical way of showing life. This text also details the thoughts and interpretations of pioneers in photographic history in order to show why they felt photography was more than a dull, descriptive snapshot of the world, and that photography contains many more factors of uncertainty and artful expression than one would initially expect.


  1. What realizations did you make after reading the text?

    After reading this text, I realized that the most important part of creating my own portfolio is to make sure that I’m satisfied with my work. As the author points out, the successfulness of a photo is subjective. If I’m proud of my work, then I will be able to look at it and show it with the belief that I’ve developed a successful work of art. (This sort of thinking goes beyond the concept of photography, in terms of accepting the person we are and not comparing ourselves to others. If we could view ourselves as successful instead of comparing ourselves to the success of others, we’d all be better off!)



    Rexer, Lyle. The Edge of Vision: The Rise of Abstraction in Photography. N.p.: Aperture, 2013. Print.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project #1: Photogram Artist Research

"Photography Changes Everything" Post-Reading Response