Project #2: Black and White Film Artist Research
Artist #1: Ansel Adams
Artist #2: Irving Penn
I found the Penn's photograph to be very striking due to the texture and detail involved in the portrait. The woman's freckles are spattered perfectly across her face, and the intensity of her eyes is beautiful. I like how her face is framed by pure black because it really accentuates the subject of the piece. I also get a sense of balance by looking at this image, in that although her face is mostly symmetrical, there are slight variations in the number and location of her freckles, as well as a minute raise of her left eyebrow and the left side of her mouth, that make the image a fraction asymmetrical. Based on these details, I would consider adding some asymmetrical elements to my photos, because I think it adds to the significance and beauty of the piece.
Artist #3: James Nachtwey
The final photograph by Nachtwey really stood out to me because of the emotions that it evoked. Although I have no personal experience or ability to relate with the way this person was treated, I think Nachtwey did an excellent job in stimulating human empathy. When I look at this photo, I feel horrified, not because of the boy's scars, but by the thought that people were able to inflict such terrible acts upon each other. The main thing that I hope to take away from this piece and would love to be able to reenact in my own work is to create images and find perspectives that can influence peoples emotions and speak to and impact people without having to use words.
Link: https://www.photographydo.com/black-and-white-photography/famous-black-and-white-photographers



Comments
Post a Comment